1) You are not afraid to get your hands dirty. In fact, clean nails, uncracked skin and a long-lasting manicure are sure signs that you are not a garden warrior.
2) You know how to wield a pickax and aren't (too) afraid to do it.
3) You have quads of steel and you got them the old fashioned way. No weights. No machines. No gym memberships. Just squats with a purpose - weeding, planting, harvesting.
4) You have killed to protect your garden. Snails, rats, gophers, hornworms. You may feel bad that you did it but you'd do it again.
5) You are not above hiring out the dirty work. The cat who kills rats. The bat who eats mosquitos. The ladybug who devours aphids. You invite these killers for hire into your yard with food, a bat house tucked behind the play house, cover crop in the winter.
6) You are willing to "thin" your seedlings - even though you coddled and loved each seed once upon a time.
7) You pull out still producing plants when the season dictates - even if you wish you didn't have to.
8) You can tell the difference between collards, mustard greens and swiss chard at 50 paces.
9) To you, going native does not mean what most people think. It has nothing to do with getting naked - though, truth be told, you've gardened in varies states of dress and undress.
10) Like all warriors, you have a code of conduct. A place you'll never go is the use of pesticides. Okay, maybe a little bit of organic sluggo but by using pesticides, among other things, there just is no challenge.
Are you a garden warrior?
* Join the Facebook Page to keep the battles going.